Just an update on the progress of the carving of this current design – Australian Rainforest Wildflowers. The first image is the one from yesterdays carving showing the outlines of the spaces I wish to carve out ie. the areas I wish to be white in the black and white print and later handcoloured with watercolours. I have adjusted the colours a little to give a clearer image of the carving.
This second image of the linoblock carving from this morning showing where I have used a wider blade to scoop out as deeply as I can (ie. as close to the backing hessian as I can). I have then used the next narrowest blade to come back again and scoop closely to the edges of each areas cut out. The final carving I am starting now involves using the finest blade to clean up all the edges and lines to give the cleanest neatest edge for printing.